OLDSHREVEPORT.COM
Take the Trolley to MEMORY LANE
Welcome to ShreveportDowntownEarly 1900's LifeAuto Racing, Back WhenOld Dowtown Buildings

SFChargerPaceCar.jpg

The famed Dodge Charger pace car at the Louisiana State Fair Speedway. The last year that the speedway was a dirt surface was 1968. It was converted to asphalt in 1969. This pace car was one of the SUPER BIRDS made famous at Talladega Speedway in NASCAR racing. Rare photo of this car at Shreveport (Courtesy of Roxy Dancy, Jr.)

SFHutchDerr.jpg

Two of the most famous names in IMCA racing history and indeed, dirt racing history are Derr and Hutcherson. The red and white Dodge Charger belonged to 13 time national IMCA stock car champ ERNIE DERR which is emblazoned with his famous # 1. Derr dominated dirt racing at Shreveport but had trouble converting the heavy Dodge to asphalt competition. The # 29 is the mount of RON HUTCHERSON, brother of DICK HUTCHERSON, former IMCA national Champ and NASCAR Rookie of the Year. Derr and Hutcherson were two of  the "Keokuk Komets" as they both were from tiny Keokuk, Iowa. DON WHITE and RAMO STOTT who were both ARCA champs and graduates of the IMCA dirt ranks  were the other two original Komets. (Roxy Dancy, Jr.  collection)

RacetraclClubhouse.jpg

The Race Track and Clubhouse at the Louisiana State Fair grounds in Shreveport, La. probably 1910 era.  This grandstand was destroyed in 1912 when a new , larger covered grandstand was built. The clubhouse served the horse racing crowd and later, served as the clubhouse for the Shreveport Country Club ( see photo on this page).  This postcard was published by Hirsch & Leman who were booksellers and stationers in Shreveport on Milam Street near the old City Hall at Louisiana Ave & Milam Street. William Hirsch, one of the owners of Hirsch & Leman  would serve as the Secretary-General manager of the state fair until the 1950s when Joe Monsour would assume the role. The Hirsch Coliseum at the fairgrounds is named in honor of Mr. Hirsch.(Ernie Roberson collection)

RaceTrack1984.jpg

In the background of this photo is the venerable Louisiana State Fair Speedway grandstand and the fence circling the half mile dirt surface. The greats of IMCA sped around the track for many decades until shortly after this photo. The editor of OldShreveport.com was told by Joe Monsour who served as Secretary-General manager of the fair for many years, that the need for additional parking destroyed the grandstand and racetrack. The late Sam Giordano who held the same position for the fair in recent years, related that he would have loved to have the track back. In case you are wondering, the photo shows the ground-breaking for Fair Grounds Field in 1984. The bell you hear, is the death knell ringing for the track which was a contemporary with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. (Ernie Roberson collection)

Roxy8Special.jpg

ROXY DANCY is shown in 1950 in what is known as a "Track Roadster" according to racing historians. Locally, it was known as a "hot rod". These cars raced at the state fair speedway and were very popular. A hot rod club from East Texas were the major attendees and among those drivers was the famed  RAY INGALLS of Longview, Texas. This photo proves a prominent racing historian as dead wrong about track roadsters NOT racing in this area. This was an old  1950 promo article from a newspaper and the photo is quite blurry. ( Roxy Dancy, Jr. collection)

StFirGolfClub.jpg

Around 1919 the Shreveport Country Club golf course relocated to the interior of the State Fair racetrack. This was due to a fire that destroyed their clubhouse located in Allendale. The edifice shown here was erected to serve the golf club for about four years until the current location off Greenwood Road (US Hwy 80 in those days) was purchased. This may have been the first luxury boxes at a race track in America as auto racing and horse racing were being held at the track in those days. In the coming weeks OldShreveport will debut a photo of Shreveport's first amateur race winner in his wonderful Hudson racer. At this time the race track was a mile long. In 1932 it would be reduced to a half mile track. (Ernie Roberson collection)